Saturday, February 7, 2009

Everything I Needed to Know About Life I Learned From My Dominatrix: Letting Go of Control

This is article two in a series. See previous posts.

"When you get to the edge of all the light you have, and take that first step into the darkness of the unknown, you must trust that one of two things will happen: that there will be something solid for you to stand upon, or that you will be taught how to fly..." - Anonymous

I admit it. Sometimes I feel like a skydiving instructor. People contact Me saying "I've always wanted to try this but I'm terrified..." So I give them the lay of the land, assure them of safety procedures, and answer all their questions, until the only thing left is for them to show up. They board the plane, I take it up to 4000 feet.... and at the threshold, few and far between are the students who don't need an extra kick in the pants when I yell "JUMP". In fact, most need their fingers pried ruthlessly off the frame of the door having just decided that maybe, actually, they don't want to experience freefall after all and whose silly idea was this anyway?!

This is absolutely normal. And it has to do with your ability (or inability) to let go of control. Take the inability to let go one step further, and we discover what is really behind this seeming irrationality: fear of the unknown.

We are passionately attracted to the unknown, and yet it is one of the most terrifying places for us to be. Based on My studies in human potential and My own experience, I have learned that a possible reason for this phenomenon is as follows: Human beings, consciously or unconsciously, seek out growth experiences. However, when one grow, one becomes someone different than who one was before, which entails a loss of identity. Our egos, creatures of habit that they are, would prefer not to have this loss occur, but it is inevitable. A butterfly is no longer a caterpillar when it escapes its cucoon, and a newly collared slave is no longer free to do as he pleases vis a vis his Mistress. The new state is a rebirth of the self into something new: no more, and no less important than what came before.

Stepping across the threshold into My domain is like breaking out of the crysalis. And you can be certain that I will teach you how to fly...

1 comment:

Rob said...

"Her explanation of what it is like to submit is excellent. It is that kind of trip but one where you have to trust completely. This is a trip that I would take. Not only is she beautiful but also, obviously very intelligent."